I found this link very interesting:

https://github.com/plataformatec/devise/wiki/How-To:-Allow-users-to-sign-in-using-their-username-or-email-address

I don't know the dynamics of Devise, but I looked at your application:
2 controllers: application and home.  home has show, new, edit defs.  All
empty
1 model user
3 view folders: devise, home, layouts.
Devise has folder session with new.html.erb.  It has:
<%= form_for(resource, :as => resource_name, :url =>
session_path(resource_name)) do |f| %>
f.text_field :signin, autofocus: true %> </div> Where have you defined
resource?