I thought of a counter cache however one of the problems is I need to be
able to query by a date range as well in some of my charts and a counter
cache wouldn't work.

I almost have it working however I am getting a " returned around
each string which I believe is a javascript problem.

My code is

def training_count_by_initiative(startdate, enddate)
  initiative_names = Initiative.all.select("id,name")
  training_count =
Training.by_date(startdate,enddate).group(:initiative_id).count
  initiative_name.map do |initiative|
    [initiative.name, training_count[initiative.id] || 0]