Hassan,

Comments interspersed.

And, again, thank you.

Ralph

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 2:42:17 PM UTC-6, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Ralph Shnelvar <ral...@dos32.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > So what is the correct phrase for knowing what kind of server Rails is
> > running under?
>
> "what server?" should do :-)

Ok, that was easy.

> > HS> Also, what does "under Apache" mean? Using Passenger? Or as
> > HS> a proxy? If the latter, something has to be doing the actual serving
> > HS> (i.e. puma, unicorn, thin, webrick (not in production!)).
> >
> > "Under Apache" means, I think, Apache is somewhere in the rack.  (My
> > understanding of "rack" is, at best, nebulous.
>
> First, "Apache" is the name of an organization; "Apache httpd" is a
> web server (which many people erroneously refer to as "Apache").
>
> Lordy, you're even more of a pedant than I am.  :-)

> Did you install and configure this yourself, or was it provided by
> someone else?

 I installed the system myself.  It was about as much fun as going to the
dentist while having a stomach flu.

Just for giggles I'll describe my system:
Windows 7 host
VMware Workstation
Ubuntu 16.04 client

I don't have a clue how I would have gotten as far as I have without VMWare.

> Can you describe exactly how you're starting "Apache"?

Sure. I start Apache httpd with the following script:
#!/bin/bash

export RALPH_SUPPRESS_HTTPS=
sudo apache2ctl start

When I run webrick my script is
#!/bin/bash

export RALPH_SUPPRESS_HTTPS=true
sudo apache2ctl stop
rails s

So I use the environment variable RALPH_SUPPRESS_HTTPS as a proxy for
whether I'm using webrick or Apache httpd

And, again, Hassan, thank you