On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Ralph Shnelvar <ral...@dos32.com> wrote:

>> First, "Apache" is the name of an organization; "Apache httpd" is a
>> web server (which many people erroneously refer to as "Apache").
>>
> Lordy, you're even more of a pedant than I am.  :-)

It's a losing battle, but the ASF (Apache Software Foundation)
hosts/sponsors hundreds of OSS projects (e.g. Apache Tomcat,
Apache Commons) and it can get confusing when people use
"Apache" without any qualifier. But moving on...

>  I installed the system myself.

Do you remember configuring httpd for something called
"Passenger"? If not, what kind of configuration was done to
access your Rails app?

> So I use the environment variable RALPH_SUPPRESS_HTTPS as a proxy for
> whether I'm using webrick or Apache httpd

You can get the command used to start the server (last shell
command) from the environment with "printenv _" e.g.

  puts "started with #{`printenv _`}"

Try putting the above line at the bottom of config/environment.rb
and starting your app both ways to confirm.

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan