Okay, I think that I may have spoken too soon.

I've been following this guide
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started_with_rails.html
and nothing seems to work. Can anyone recommend a better guide for a
beginner?

To get port 3000 to work correctly I configured Apache with the
following virtual host:

Listen 3000
NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.1:*
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:*>
   ServerName blog.cadimize.com
   DocumentRoot /home/toper/www/cadimize/blog/public
</VirtualHost>

This makes development mode SEEM like it works, I can access my app from
port 3000, but when there's an error it gets logged to
config/production.log (so it's not in actually development mode).

When I use the WEBrick server, development mode does work, and errors
are logged to config/development.log. But then I can only view my app at
127.0.0.1. When WEBrick starts it says: "Rails 2.1.0 application started
on http://127.0.0.1:3000";

My questions are:
Does development mode only work with the WEBrick server?
If so, I assume I need to configure it to use an address other than
127.0.0.1?
If not, does someone know what I could be missing in my Apache
configuration that is keeping me from accessing development mode?