Anthony E. wrote:

> Paul Harv wrote:

>> My question is - is it enough for me to just install the gems (have they
>> already been built using the appropriate libraries), or do I have to go
>> and find these other libraries? If so can you point me to details on
>> where to get them and how to install?

> Can I safely ignore them or am I missing a dependency (if so which one?)

The answer to both these questions is that .so files, unlike .rb files, enjoy
early binding. If you run an .rb file with missing dependencies, you don't
learn
that until when (or _if_) you hit the require '...' line that pulls them in.

However, when .so files (or .dll files) load, the loader itself immediately
finds all the registered dependencies and loads them too. This early binding
happens at the machine language level, so all these libraries can fixup their
addresses to the functions in the libraries they use.

If you can run ruby -e "require 'libxml'", and not get any complaints, then you
have enough libxml, because that line forces ruby's executable image in memory
to then pull in all those .so files!

Also, run all your tests...

--
   Phlip