All things being equal which method would you favour?

Waht would be some example code, for either, how do i pass the details
from one action to another or use the javascript div hiding technique.

I think the div hiding technique sounds best but you wouldn't have a
page progression (maybe that's a bit old school though, not very web
2.0). I just thought I'd like to set up a series of pages like you
suggest with the details being built and then saved at the end (in the
last action).