I don't generally follow the "whatever works..." approach because
there is usually a best practice.  That said, I want to avoid the
global variable because having $tidbit = Tidbit.random declared in my
application.rb broke my migrations.  Running migrations from version 0
when the Tidbits database doesn't exist caused the db:migrate to fail
because the line of code was still being executed and the Model was
attempting to access a table that didn't exist.

I'll keep reading, but I'm sure there is a logical way of
accomplishing this that I'm just not yet seeing.  Thanks.