On Mar 19, 9:01 am, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
> elle wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > So, I have something happening that I don't understand. I am on OS
> > 10.5.6 and followed Dan Benjamin's (Hivelogic) advice on how to
> > install Ruby, MySQL.... As he suggests, I added . ~/.bash_login with
> > the path for the MySQL installation. I also added . ~/.profile with
> > the path for the Ruby installation.
>
> > Now, when I start Terminal and run:
> > % ruby -v    # -> version 1.8.6
> > % gem list  # -> I get a list with various versions of active record,
> > actionmailer, rake and... no mysql (2.7) gem
>
> > Then if I run:
> > % . ~/.profile
> > % ruby -v      # ->  version 1.8.7
> > % gem list    # Get updated gem list including mysql gem
>
> > But if I close that terminal window and open a new one -- the above is
> > reset.
>
> > Why does that happen? and how do I get the path to load automatically?
>
> Put the settings ~/.bash_profile

My ~/.profile has:

export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:
$PATH"

And my ~/.bash_profile has the following:

--------------
for a in local $(ls /opt/ | grep -v local | grep -v gentoo); do
    FULLPATH=/opt/$a
    if [ -x $FULLPATH ]; then
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/bin ]; then
            export PATH="$FULLPATH/bin:$PATH"
        fi
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/sbin ]; then
            export PATH="$FULLPATH/sbin:$PATH"
        fi
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/share/aclocal ]; then
            export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I $FULLPATH/share/aclocal
$ACLOCAL_FLAGS"
        fi
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/man ]; then
            export MANPATH="$FULLPATH/man:$MANPATH"
        fi
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/share/man ]; then
            export MANPATH="$FULLPATH/share/man:$MANPATH"
        fi
        if [ -x $FULLPATH/lib/pkgconfig ]; then
            export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$FULLPATH/lib/pkgconfig/:
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
        fi
    fi
done
# Setting PATH for Subversion 1.5.1 binaries
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.svnsave
PATH="/opt/subversion/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

What rules should I add to it? and where do I add them?

Elle