On Mac OS X I use XCode.  It is quite good and free.  Specifically,
you want to use the XCode "Organizer" Just launch XCode and rather
than create a project (which you don't need) go to the Window menu and
choose Organizer.  Drag the root folder from your rails project into
the left outline pane and you've got quick access to the files in your
project with syntax coloring. I like it fine for rails and php
projects.