On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Fidel Viegas <fidel.vie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I certainly agree with a few of your points, but you can't compare a
> language with a framework.

Alright then.  Let me rephrase it.  I've got .net book that are 4 and
6 years old that I still reference to this day.  I've got a Java Swing
book that's ancient that's still very relevant today.  Apples to
apples and oranges to oranges, there you go.

> Ruby, the language, hasn't changed that
> much from 1.8.x to 1.9.x.

Bullshit.  It's changed immensely.  Ruby 1.9 has fibers now, there are
native threads, there is unicode in fast C, no longer in Ruby.  There
are actually so many new features in 1.9 people are pissed that it's
not named 2.0.  I've been playing with all sorts of new 1.9 features
the past few weeks.  Sadly one of them is not a working MySQL gem, but
it'll catch up at some point I'm sure.

Do you follow Linux Kernel development at all?  It's a cardinal sin to
even attempt to change a userland API.  Behind the API things evolve
immensely, but the API itself, that we as developers build software
against, never, ever changes.  But then on the rare occasion that it
does change, you can bet your ass the version number will move by a
lot more than .1.

When the Rails API begins to remain unchanged for even a few releases
in a row, maybe then you can start calling it things like "mature".

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/