I had this issue, and to start with, I followed various blogs to set
the location of the mysql libraries etc.. However, when I did it
yesterday, I simply installed the 32 BIT mysql package directly from
the mysql web site (64 bit wont work apparently).  Then I did 'sudo
gem install mysql' - and to my amazement, everything worked.

I do wish the rails guys had made this a little less painful though -
I bet it puts off some newbies from even venturing into rails.

Hope this helps

Gary