The error will be generated anytime when the server doesn't want to
talk to you, eg. because of auth failure or service outage.

And about basic auth, actually it's only one of the many ways to
authenticate on the web, and I'm sure that Google Account protected
services support it. Probably the only way to fullfil such request is
to emulate a browser request and store all cookies & headers the
google will set. But it won't be easy, if possible at all. So you'll
better find an API way to access the service, either don't scrap such
URLs. And also I'm quite sure that it violates Google Terms.

Dmitry