Thanks for answering my n00bie question guys.  I was dumbly following
the Head First Rails book and later I realised my linux already has
rails installed and I can also download instant rails on windows or
even use Heroku garden online (!).  I feel like a caveman from my
college J2EE days haha

Once again, thanks!

chioh

P.S. Does anyone know the real reason for the site going down?  Would
like to help the admins in any way I can ...