Are you saying that after the update_attribute the password field is also
changed?  If so do you have some sort of filter that might be running and
changing it?  Possibly you could put debugger traps at each point you change
the password and check it is not getting there.  Also have a look in the log
to see what sql is being executed and if there are any unexpected write
queries.
Colin