Rick Lloyd wrote:
> I don't understand, when I issue the rails.vim command
> ":Rscript server thin"
> the thin server is started in the current VIM window with
> output visible.

What's a 'thin server'?   As I mentioned in my op, this is what I had
been doing in Terminal:

/myapp$ ruby script/server

The window then showed the log output from the server.  I could kill the
sever by hitting Ctrl+C.

The rails.vim help says this:

:Rserver {options}  Launches script/server {options} in the background.
      On win32, this means |!start|.  On other systems, this
      uses the --daemon option.

/myapp$ ruby script/server -h

Usage: server [options]
    -p, --port=port                  Runs Rails on the specified port.
                                     Default: 3000
    -b, --binding=ip                 Binds Rails to the specified ip.
                                     Default: 0.0.0.0
    -c, --config=file                Use custom rackup configuration
file
    -d, --daemon                     Make server run as a Daemon.
    -u, --debugger                   Enable ruby-debugging for the
server.
    -e, --environment=name           Specifies the environment to run
this server under (test/development/production).
                                     Default: development
    -P, --path=/path                 Runs Rails app mounted at a
specific path.
                                     Default: /

    -h, --help                       Show this help message.

Nothing about 'thin' in there.

> The behavior is identical to that in a terminal
> window which has has the command "script/server thin" issued.
>
> i.e. I can see the output from the thin server as if I were tailing
> the logfile and I can stop the thin server by issuing a Ctrl-C in the
> VIM window (vimdoh?).
>
> Doesn't this accomplish what you're after?

I don't know.  I'll have to try it the next time I am ready to logout.