I'm reading along with "Ajax on Rails" (2007) and the first exercise
goes like this:

rails example
cd example
script/generate controller chap2 myaction
script/server

Then editing example/app/views/myaction.html.erb to look like this:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascipt">
function fone() {
  var request = new XMLHttpRequest();
  request.open('get', '/chap2/somewords', false);
  request.send(null);
  alert(request.responseText);
}
</script>
<h2 onclick="fone();">Hello World?</h1>

Firebug then says fone() is not defined.  In the book the script is
after the html but this does not matter.

What's the deal?  I have not tried src'ing an external script (as I am
not sure where I would put that).  I can't really proceed if the js in
the view is just going to be ignored.  I also added the
language="javascript", as this seems to be necessary sometimes in normal
html pages, but this does not help.