This is actually not the case!

If you are using ruby 1.8.6 OR 1.8.7 your gems will be in gems/1.8
for example on my Mac: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
on my Linux: /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8

You will need to reinstall if you upgrade to ruby 1.9
You will also need to reinstall if you upgrade to REE (ruby enterprise
edition) since it uses a separate directory too.
on the same linux ree installation uses /usr/lib64/rubyee/gems/1.8

Note that those installations can coexist on the same machine. they
use binaries like ruby18, rubyee, ruby19, gem18, gemee, gem19
with ruby and gem usually being a symlink to one of the above.

Regards

--
Vitaly Kushner
http://twitter.com/vkushner