> I wouldn't recommend storing a single object in two tables or
> splitting it across multiple rows. You'll be fighting this complexity
> elsewhere in your code and it will become a real headache.

I agree there, but I'm really not sure what to do. I can literally
isolate the individual character that causes this error (seems to be
around the 15,000 mark)

> Are you including images or something in your object?
No, not at all. It's a form used to submit an application to a uni
program. Just plain text (although lots of it)

As I said, i am quite confused by this as I have the new form in RoR and
the old form in PHP running in parallel. The same input that causes the
RoR form to crash, causes no probs at all for the PHP form.

I also get the identical error on my home machine and the web server
(hosting company)