I've managed to understand / solve the problem and just wanted to post
back here in case it helps anyone else.
Having read this: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10035
it appears that this error is caused when a MySQL table has more than 10
columns of the type "text".
I tested this by creating a form with 11 text fields. I filled ten of
them with input of 15,000 chrs and submitted it - everything fine. I
stuck 15,000 characters in the eleventh text field and sure enough the
same error was thrown. I started deleting the characters in the eleventh
text field and at some point I was able to successfully submit the form.
This only appears to be an issue upwards of MySQL 4.1.11 which also
explains why my old form (PHP version) didn't crash (it's operating with
MySQL 4.0.24)
If I understand the advice given on
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10035 correctly then the solution to
this is to save one's data in two tables, which is what I have done.