My guess is that you'd need to add this to your test setup. By
default, everything is rolled back from your test database after every
test.

def setup
`rake db:seed`
end

With backticks it will run the shell process, and should wait for it
to finish before proceeding.

Nothing comes up when I search the api docs for 'seed', so for now it
may just be in rake. It may take some digging in the source to find
out whether you can seed the database directly from Rails. Or there
may be a gem that can help.