The argument for the gem is that any improvements in security/bug
fixes will be automatically included in your application if you
continue to update your gems.  The argument for the plugin is any
changes in the gem won't break your code that was already working if
you don't update your plugin.

I would use the updating gem in development.  And a frozen plugin in
deployed app.