I am trying to build a shared-appointment system, where users can
subscribe to appointments and be updated whenever changes are made to
them.  I have three objects in this system, appointments, users, and
subscribers.  Subscribers are a polymorphic object like so:
class Subscriber < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :user
  belongs_to :subscribable, :polymorphic => true
end

The tricky part is that users already own appointments, so I can't
create a simple users.appointments association.  I can find users by
calling appointment.subscribers, but I need help getting the reverse
to work (users.subscribers.appointments)  I can use named_scope to
only grab appointment subscriber objects, but how can I make it
automatically link to the appointments, not the subscriber objects?