i guess what i meant to say was that if i created a user-defined
column then i (through some magical UI controls which i'd eventually
throw together) would like to be able to say is "this column is an
integer.." and when i use that new user defined column it gets the
full benefits of validates_numericality_of ... user_column_1.. what i
was driving at was if i create a serialized column and create pseudo-
fields inside of that then theres no way to get baked in validations
and i'd end up creating my own validation functions.

im sure this sort of thing is possible but im thinking its going to be
a lot of trouble... hopefully nt more than its worth.

however, if i can invent a better wheel i'd love to share it with the
world... so that kinda urges me to push forward.