Will Merrell wrote:
> Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>>> You're right that option A is pretty much a bad idea. I can't tell you
>>> how much time I have spent refactoring databases that were *guaranteed*
>>> never to change.
>>>

>> That shouldn't be a problem.  Broadly speaking, it is better to refactor
>> a database tomorrow than to overdesign it today.
>>

> I'm certainly not in favor of over design, which is why I suggested
> something in between.  That said, I have rarely seen a case where wide
> and shallow is the proper solution.

Likewise.  But the OP's problem -- lots of independent attributes -- is
one such case.

>  The OPs problem looks like it needs
> some kind of normalization.

Nope!  The table is already well normalized, I think.  If you disagree,
please tell me what normalization condition is being violated.

>>> featureable_type ('property', 'unit', or 'room')
>> do that unless there's absolutely no alternative.
>>

> Could you say a little more about which part of this you find terrible.
> I have used techniques like this for some situations, and have seen
> others use it also.

Oh, it gets used, all right -- by people who either are dealing with
unusual situations or don't know how to use a database properly.

> If I'm missing something I want to know. If I
> misspoke, I want to clean it up.

Then just avoid this pattern altogether.  See discussion at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/2ee6d1546a20409e?fwc=1

for more information.

Best,
--