Mike,

I run marketing for www.engineyard.com  -- which has a rails hosting
offering that provides deployment and management, back-ended by Amazon
Web Services.

-> Backups are automated for you via snapshots of Amazon EBS volumes
-> bandwidth is charged on a sliding scale starting at $0.17 per GB
transfer (http://www.engineyard.com/products/cloud/pricing1)
-> RAM - starts at $.11 per hour for a 1.7GB small instance (with
1vCPU)
-> Located in Virginia
-> You can add RAM by upgrading instance sizes or adding more
instances -- the first takes two button pushes, the second takes 1.
You can play with our pricing estimator to get more idea [http://
www.engineyard.com/products/cloud/pricing/price-estimator].

There's a whole bunch of other features like automated database
replicas, automated security patching, application cloning etc. as you
grow. And when you get serious, you can add support offerings which
give you 24x7 coverage.

They'd probably want to use S3 for storing the photos.

Let me know at mmullany [ at ] engineyard.com if you'd like more
detail.

-- michael