I realise this probably won't help you directly because you state that
you're not using shoulda but I had a similar problem with mocha stubs
bleeding from one Shoulda test to another.

I found that reversing the order of the config.gem lines in
environment.rb, thus:

  config.gem "thoughtbot-shoulda", :lib => "shoulda" #- shoulda must
be loaded before mocha
  config.gem "mocha"                                 #--or
any_instance bleeds between tests

resolved the problem. I didn't investigate why.

Also, this problem didn't seem to occur when I ran under autotest. It
only popped up when running the tests with rake. I expect because
autotest runs the tests as separate processes.

Good luck
Ritchie