I followed your blog
http://seanbehan.com/ruby-on-rails/new-ubuntu-slice-apache-mysql-php-ruby-on-rails-git-and/
and when I do
ruby setup.rb
then I get following error  I am root on the system

~/rubygems-1.3.1# ruby setup.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9:in `require': no such file to load
-- stringio (LoadError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9
        from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:7:in `require'
        from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:7
        from ./lib/rubygems.rb:882:in `require'
        from ./lib/rubygems.rb:882
        from setup.rb:22:in `require'