Omar Renteria wrote:
> Well, I'm starting on RoR, so I got a Book called simply
> rails...Following the steps in it sometimes when I try to call a
> property, the browser shows me the next exception:
>
> undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass

That's how Ruby works: all data access is done through method calls.
Unlike in Java or C++, there is no way (well, except for tricky hacks)
to see an instance variable from outside the object that contains it.
This is one of the best features of Ruby, since it means calling
routines don't have to know whether they're asking for an instance
variable or a computation.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser