Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>>>>

>>> But you don't have to.  I exchange large files (hundreds of MB, not 4
>>> GB) on Dropbox all the time, but I've never installed their desktop
>>> software.  It's only for convenience AFAIK.
>>
>> I think it is the other way around. Their getting started link says
>> "Download". They want you to get the download software. The HTTP upload
>> is for convenience. I'm offering this as an opinion.
>>

> However you want to look at it, the point is that the HTTP upload option
> (or whatever the Flash side of the tool does) exists.
>
>> The OP wants to upload more than 4GB and I wouldn't trust HTTP to
>> transfer 4GB from a client to a server on a regular basis. There is no
>> way to resume a failed upload.
>
> I agree with you on that.
>
>> If the OP is building a web application,
>> they are going to have to find an alternative. If they are building an
>> application with a web front end, maybe they can use SFTP as a file
>> transfer client for large files, and the web UI to manage the files once
>> they have been uploaded.
>>
>> Basically, Qin Qin, you are right in noting that HTTP upload is only
>> good for reasonable sized uploads, whatever size reasonable is at the
>> time that you read this. (Images, documents, etc.)
>
> Yup.
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koser
> http://www.marnen.org
> mar...@marnen.org

Sincerely thank all answer the question firstly.
Upload large file will block the app AFAIK,and user can't browse others
at the same time .
I met with  that when I upload a large file the computer system halted
under ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it brings me a lot of trouble.
besides ,when I use mongrel ,the web server will create temp files
,which several times of original file size,in other word ,it needs more
disk or memory to complete it.
maybe I should have a try with nginx firstly ...