Qin Qin wrote:
Alan Gutierrez wrote:
Qin Qin wrote:
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
Alan Gutierrez wrote:
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
However you want to look at it, the point is that the HTTP upload option (or whatever the Flash side of the tool does) exists.
The OP wants to upload more than 4GB and I wouldn't trust HTTP to
transfer 4GB from a client to a server on a regular basis. There is no
way to resume a failed upload.
I agree with you on that.
Sincerely thank all answer the question firstly.
Upload large file will block the app AFAIK,and user can't browse others at the same time .
And then they think it has hung. And then they go away.

I met with that when I upload a large file the computer system halted under ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it brings me a lot of trouble. besides ,when I use mongrel ,the web server will create temp files ,which several times of original file size,in other word ,it needs more disk or memory to complete it.
maybe I should have a try with nginx firstly ...
This isn't going to get any better for you. Are you expecting that by
switching to nginx you're going to be able upload 4GB with nothing more
than a screen flicker when the success page is returned?

Why not follow up on by looking at the Flash upload control at Dropbox
that Marnen Laibow-Koser describes? See how fast it can upload 250MB,
what it does if you interrupt the upload, etc.

I found that the dropbox is just a Cross-platform client,and need to connect a dropbox account. because of the network environment , we didn't be allowed to do it. I download the software in other web site,but I could't connect successfully. And I found that the total capacity is 2G. So,it is still not a good idea for me. dropbox is on behalf of network disks. there are so many productions like this,but the capacity all is small.

So , I doublt that it is possible for browser to upload the very very large file ? and I whether can to use a web browser to upload files via FTP ?

Okay. Seems like a (human) language barrier. I appreciate your taking the time to investigate Dropbox as has people here have suggested. Er, thank you for looking at Dropbox like I asked.

We said look at Dropbox because Dropbox uses a Flash control for upload. You could use a Flash control for upload. Maybe. I'm not sure because I do not know Flash. Another poster said Flash has a File I/O library and a network library. So, maybe there is a Flash based upload control out there, or maybe you could write one.

Maybe this Flash control can upload 4 GB while showing a progress bar and time estimate. Maybe this Flash control can restart an upload that is interrupted.

You would have to write something on the server side that understood how to handle the restart. I believe that restart failed upload is important. Your user will be so unhappy if he accidentally closes a window at 3.9GB and has to start over.

Finally, upload of 4GB just using the HTML file form control is technically possible, and you could iframe it so that page is responsive, but the failed upload thing is going to be a bad user experience.

--
Alan Gutierrez - a...@blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy