Rails generates html.  If you want an "iPhone" look and feel, then you
should use something that provides the appropriate .css and javascript
support.  iUi is one way to go, and while not at all Rails or Ruby
specific, you might find Professional iPhone and iPod touch
Programming (by Richard Wagner) to be helpful (I did!!), and you might
google the true guru, Noel Rappin, who has developed a few plugins --
See, http://github.com/noelrappin/rails-iui and
http://github.com/noelrappin/tank-engine
If you're really looking to do your own work then those hints should
help get you on the correct path.

Sandy