I have a new app (Rails 2.3.8) that uses lots of money fields. I'm
using the money gem (3.0.5) and the acts_as_money plugin. I've written
a number of rspec model examples and everything seems to be working
fine there.

My problem is in defining forms for new & edit. As I've done in past
projects for complex layouts, I extracted the basic form to a partial
and include it in the new & edit views.

However, the model object is created and left with nulls in the
fields, and causes the money gem to complain with:
    "undefined method `subunit_to_unit' for nil:NilClass".

I thought I could use something like after_initialize() to hook into
the creation of a new object in Rails and set all the money attributes
to zero, but that didn't work (and several posts recommended against
that for performance reasons)...

Any suggestions on a clean way to hook my model object and make sure
it's got zeros for all the money values when the new object is
instantiated?