I think the underlying issue for this and hundreds of similar ones is
simple:
Poor error messages.
Imagine if instead of undecipherable error messages that take hour or
days to figure out, what if (in this example) the error message said
"form_for_tag is deprecated in Rails 2.0+, please consider using
form_for instead".

Imagine the frustration that would save!  I think people would be a lot
less stressed out, pissed off and bitching on blogs/forums if they
hadn't spent hours trying to figure out weird error messages.  They
would see the message, fix the code in mins with a global replace and
move on.

This ignores the deprecating issue itself (on purpose).  Having worked
with dozens of languages with reasonable error messages over more years
than I care to admit, the Ror error messages continue to blow me away.
I'm sure there are some who will say 'read a book, understand the
architecture and ruby better'.  But for the rest of us in the real
world, that doesn't cut it.

Having said all that.... the more cryptic the better, right?  That way
we can charge $100,000 for being a good RoR programmer instead of
$30,000 (or less) which is what would happen if RoR was made easier and
I think better error messages would be the biggest change.
All imho of course - what do you think?

Keys to a good programmer - humbleness, humility and honesty.