On 19 Sep 2010, at 21:03, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Although we could scope everything on the customer, but given the
total amount of data involved across all accounts, it would have a
dramatic impact on performance over time, even with proper indexes.

What makes you think so?  A good DB should be able to handle this with
minimal performance impact.

It's called performance and stress tests.

Also, since we are storing the data of direct competitors (our
customers are in the same market segment in our already small country) we found that during presales the question about keeping data separate
always arose.

And you just need to tell your customers that you do so. How you do it
is none of their business.

Once you start working with the budgets and contacts they work with, it becomes their business, or it's no business for us. I'm guessing you don't work with Microsoft SQL Server for fun either.

Again, a good test suite could and should avoid one
customer seeing another one's data, just like Blinksale does it, but
prospects might not see it that way so easily.

Are you saying you don't have a good test suite, then?

As insulting as I find your question, I think we're pretty well covered, thank you.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt