> But don't you always need to do that?  Isn't that the task that clears
> out the test DB?  Or is that not an issue since you're (hopefully)
> running your specs transactionally?

As far as I can tell, the difference between 'rake spec' and 'rspec
spec' is 'db:test:prepare'. When all tests pass with 'rake spec',
they're also passing with 'rspec spec', only faster. If you check the
test database after running 'rspec spec', it should be empty. So that's
why I think 'rake spec' isn't necessary, unless the database schema has
changed.

I do have

        config.use_transactional_fixtures = true

in my spec_helper file. If the setting is set to false, then the
database could have residual data in it after running the tests.