I'll chime in on this thread a little --

As someone learning Rails, the most frustrating thing is not that these
conventions exist - it's that it's very hard to figure out what those
conventions _are_ through anything but experimentation and banging one's
head against it.

This is where I think the documentation could help more.  The guides,
railscasts, and whatnot are good for figuring out how one piece works, or
how to do one particular thing - but it's hard to get a notion of the big
picture, exactly *how* all the pieces hook together, and what customization
points are available to change things.

Something like "The default ActionController::TestCase class assumes that
it's testing a class with the same name as it, but with the word "Test"
lopped off the end. To change this, do x."  But all in one place, not
littered through API docs.