I don't know how many of you are already aware of the Opensource
Project Fedena - http://www.projectfedena.org/

Fedena is recently selected by Government of Kerala, India to automate
13,000 schools with 7million+ students. I guess it is one of the
largest implementation of a Ruby on Rails code in education sector.

The project is named as "Sampoorna" - http://sampoorna.itschool.gov.in/
News -
http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/digital-super-highway-connecting-schools-soon/760209.html

This project is into the final stages and expect a huge fan-base of
ROR in Kerala. The IT@School department of Government of Kerala is
notable for its achievements related to supporting FOSS
https://www.itschool.gov.in/achievements.php