On Dec 13, 2011, at 11:09 AM, John Doe wrote:

> Michael Pavling wrote in post #1036557:
>> On 13 December 2011 17:31, DK <structuralartis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Windows" is not necessarily "IIS" - it's perfectly possible to deploy
>> on Windows (with Apache, Passenger, etc). Deploying with IIS as per
>> the OP... that's likely to be much harder.
>
> I am aware that you can install Apache on Windows and that may be an
> option if I can persuade (using appropriate supportable arguments)
> someone to approve it. Looking at some of the comments I Have come
> across on other forums, they seem to concur with your last statement
> that setting up on IIS is (or at least was at the time) rather complex.
> However, I am bound by corporate policy to at least explore the
> possibility of using the native web server using other options only as a
> last resort (i.e. where this can be proven not to be possible or
> practical).
----
seems that there is a language or perception issue too.

IIS is not any more 'native' than Apache...

IIS is a Microsoft supplied application/service and Apache is not.

But they both can and do run on Windows so they are both 'native'

There are few who develop RoR applications on Windows and thus there isn't a
great amount of resources for Windows developers which has only been made worse
by the fact that RoR has been a fast moving framework.

The same holds true for deployment - perhaps even more so because of the
reliance upon things like passenger.

I seem to recall that various versions of mongrel were possible for Windows IIS
and thus would permit you to deploy but I don't know that they have been
updated for Windows recently.

At any rate, you could probably use IIS to proxy connections to Apache running
on other ports and thus have IIS servicing all port 80 traffic.

Craig