On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 07:36:58AM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> I think it is ridiculous to have doctests of the form
>
>        sage:sga = SymmetricGroup(3)
>        sage: TestSuite(sga).run(verbose=True)
>        running ._test_an_element() .. done
>        running ._test_associativity() .. done
>        running ._test_element_pickling() .. done
>        running ._test_inverse() .. done
>        running ._test_len() .. done
>        running ._test_not_implemented_methods() .. done
>        running ._test_one() .. done
>        running ._test_pickling() .. done
>        running ._test_prod() .. done
>        running ._test_some_elements() .. done
>
> Doctests are meant to be *read* by people, and to be guaranteed right.

Yes. That's the point. I *want* those doctests to be read. This gives
useful feedback on what is being tested. Also this advertises features
of the categories which are otherwise a bit hidden in the
introspection (since we decided to name the test methods _test...).

And, well, those tests are correct in that they check that at least
those tests are run :-) Sure, 100% correctness is better.

> I think that is bad, since it is explicitly and on purposely tricking
> the reader.  Please don't do that.

As I said, if someone takes on the promise of updating the category
examples (which I care much about), I am very fine with it.

> > Finally, there is an (undocumented) option so sage -t that makes it
> > output a patch which updates all the doctest results according so
> > Sage's output. Mike: I did not find it back; can you remind me what
> > that option is? I promise I'll add it to sage -h :-)
>
> Note that it only halfway works too.

Yeah, but occasionally enormously useful. So I think it should be
advertised, at least in sage -advanced, if not just so that I don't
ask Mike about it a third time. I'll post a patch to trac.