Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Nicolas M. Thiery
<nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:

<SNIP>

> To summarize, and as was previously vaguely discussed on
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-combinat-devel/msg/18c3926662cf5033,
> we would love to aim progressively at:
>
>        sage: sage?                     # quickref and short index for Sage
>        sage: sage.tutorial?            # A short Sage tutorial + Minh's index
> of thematic tutorials
>
>        sage: sage.groups               # quickref and short index about group
> theory
>        sage: sage.groups.primer?
>        sage: sage.groups.tutorial?     # The main group theory tutorial +
> links to other group theory tutorials
>
>        sage: sage.combinat.crystals?   # quickref and short index about
> crystals

Overall, the above is an excellent proposal for centralizing source
code and documentation (reference manual, tutorials, primers). I can
imagine that I would want to do

sage: sage.groups.tutorial?

to get a tutorial on how to use the group theory module. Also, to do

sage: sage.groups.primer?

to get a primer on the group theory module. That is, inline
documentation available from the command line and through the notebook
interface.

In case this hasn't come up before, I want to now focus on how all
these tutorials and primers are to be organized in the HTML version of
the standard documentation [1]. Are they to be found in the Reference
Manual [2]? Or within a thematic new category such as "Sage HOWTOs" as
proposed at #8470 [3]? Since you mentioned the phrase "thematic
tutorials" above, I have an urge to borrow (no, steal :-) the phrase
and instead rename "Sage HOWTOs" to "Thematic Tutorials". I really
like that phrase of yours.

> By the way, Jason: can you remind me what's the difference between
> 'primer' and 'tutorial'?

* primer --- a mini tutorial that should get you started, up and
running in a few minutes.

* tutorial --- requires about half an hour (or more) to work through.

[1] http://www.sagemath.org/doc/

[2] http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/

[3] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8470

--