In case it would help review this patch, let me try to explain it.

The problem is to give a sort of classification of most maximal
subgroups of Lie groups so that we can give branching rules.

The subgroups in question are of the type O(n) x O(m) in O(n+m)
or Sp(n x m) in Sp(n) x Sp(m). Previously these were handled by
"rule=extended".

However this is not appropriate, and in some cases Sage would
refuse to do a branching rule because the ranks did not match,
even though these were cases where the branching rule was
already programmed in. The problem is with odd orthogonal
groups, where (for example) O(3)xO(3) --> O(6) embeds a
rank 2 group in a rank 3 group.

The extended rule is actually intended for maximal subgroups of the
same rank. In these cases, you can recognize the subgroup
by deleting one node from the extended Dynkin diagram.

The solution in the patch is to create a new rule called
orthogonal_sum.

Programming in the branching rule basically amounts to
describing the embedding of Cartan algebras, or its transpose,
as a linear map. In the cases in question, the map is quite
trivial, just the identity map embedding a direct sum of two
vector spaces.

Dan