Hi Dan!

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 08:47:43PM -0700, bump wrote:
> > The best fix would be to have, as has been planned some time ago,
> > WeylCharacterRing use categories (and by the way
> > CombinatorialFreeModule), and this would be automatically handled by
> > the coercion system.
> > Dan: do you have any chance for handling this?
>
> I now have a complete patch for this:
>
> http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/trac_7922.patch

Great, thanks much for working on that!

> If running the old code all WeylCharacterRings are created with
> cache=true then the old code is faster.
> If the old code is run omitting cache=true (which is not the
> default) then the new code is faster.

I assume your benchmark was without Christian's optimizations, right?

I just had a very quick look, and it sounds like what is cached is
fairly orthogonal to free module operations. So one should be able to
use a similar caching even with CombinatorialFreeModule. I'll
investigate this when I'll review.

Just one thing: I can't promise to review this instantly. So please
anyone feel free to beat me to it!