On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:17:35 -0700
Anne Schilling <a...@math.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> > This is also accessible through the patch at #4539:
> >
> > http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4539
> >
> > Here is how you can do the example above with that patch:
> >
> > sage: A.<x,y>  = FreeAlgebra(QQ, 2)
> > sage: H = A.g_algebra({y*x: x*y + y^2})
> > sage: H.inject_variables()
> > sage: x*y
> > x*y
> > sage: y*x
> > x*y + y^2
>
> The example you sent indeed works fine:
>
> sage: A.<x,y> = FreeAlgebra(QQ, 2)
> sage: sage: H = A.g_algebra({y*x: x*y + y**2})
>
> However, what are the restrictions on the relations? The following
> example does not work:
>
> sage: A.<x,y> = FreeAlgebra(QQ, 2)
> sage: H = A.g_algebra({y*x*x: x*y*x})
<boom>

Indeed, this is not a G-algebra as defined here:

http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/Manual/latest/sing_436.htm#SEC476

Letterplace should be able to handle quotients of free algebras:

http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/Manual/latest/sing_441.htm#SEC493

Simon King is working on a patch to make this available in Sage. I
can't find his last message to sage-algebra in the google groups
archive, so I included it below.

Cheers,
Burcin