> If it's possible to make the base ring a LaurentPolynomialRing that
> may be more efficient than making it a rational function field.
> Presumably whether you can do this depends on whether you
> encounter denominators that are not powers of x.

Unfortunately, this is not possible and, to a large extent, this is
why I wanted to do these calculations.  Up to some powers of x the
denominators are products of cyclotomic polynomials. The example that
I described was the simplest case which exhibited my problem. I
actually wanted to do very similar calculations over a different ring
and then take linear combinations of these idempotents and check that
the coefficients in these linear combinations were invertible in a
particular ring. For the elements that I described this is certainly
not true, in general, but we can now prove that it is true for the
elements that I care about. Even though I know that this is true, if I
want to compute with these elements I still need to work over this
rational function field to construct them explicitly.

Andrew