> The wiki says that the patch should apply cleanly to the *latest
> development release*. What is confusing me is that the patches in the
> queue, and those on trac, are typically applied on top of other patches so
> I would have guessed that quite often they will not apply cleanly to the
> release version with no patches applied.

Most patches in the queue are *not* ready to be merged into the development
versions. If a patch has prerequisites, those need to be merged first. But
this may not be the case with #9265 ...

>                                             For example, this just happened
> when I tried to apply Jason Bandlow's patch
> trac_9265_tableaux_categories_jb.patch. On the other hand, this patch does
> apply cleanly from the queue.

In reviewing the patch you should check that it applies cleanly to the latest
development version, and that it passes sage -testall.

> Question: do you bounce the patch back to the author in this situation?
> Similarly, when you are writing patches how do you avoid this?

In this case, I don't think Jason is working on Sage right now
so someone else will have to rebase it. This means at a minimum
figuring out what needs to be done to get it to build with 5.2.rc1 and to pass
sage -testall. If you end up being the person who does that then probably
someone else will review it.

Dan