How different does the "free but slightly different web-version" have to be?

I think the AMS will cave in if you lean hard enough on them. It would
certainly make for cheaper hardcopies. Though the Springer books are
expensive but not outrageously so. There is probably still some value in
having a traditional publisher (over print-on-demand) to do the
advertising, our main goal should be getting books into university
libraries around the world and not making nice hardcopies for advanced
users.

Andrey and I have some lecture notes on toric geometry with Sage that could
be expanded...