William Stein wrote:

> > E.g:
> > A=MPolynomialRing(QQ,3,'x')
> >
> > should inject x1,x2 and x3 into the namespace. This is important from a
> > consistency point of view, but also because it will be useful to people
> > who want to define polynomials with many indeterminates (I just met
> > someone who does this regularly yesterday).
>
> It does now.   And
>
>    (1) you can give an optional argument to avoid it doing that
>           e.g., PolynomialRing(QQ,'x', 3, inject_variables=False)
>
>    (2) If you have any polynomial ring R at all that came from anywhere,
> doing
>        R.inject_variables([optional scope])  injects all the variables into
> the scope.

Bravo. I think this model of doing things is a very handy one, (even if
it does seem a little bit awkward to a python programmer).

Ultimately most of the users of the system are not going to be python
programmers, I think, so I believe that this will turn out to be the
best choice.

> Yes, poly's are just an example.  I think this approach should apply to
> a wide range of types.  It really really makes things more usable.

Indeed! I think this will actually turn out to be a BIG plus of SAGE
over MAGMA.

Bill.