On 12/6/06, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

When I was messing around with Mathematica (couldn't get my hands on
Maple, but I probably would have had a similar experience) back in
high school, I found it *very* counterintuitive to do basic calculus.
I essentially gave up trying. And given the amount of confusion about
how Mathematica works displayed so far on this thread, my guess is
that I am not alone.

Part of the problem is the difference between mathematical functions
and computer language functions. The idea of substituting parameters
is present in mathematics... if I define f(x) = x sin (x^2)
mathematically, and I want to evaluate it at some point in the domain,
I just *do* the substitution. I don't typically write something
separately.

I'm afraid that this subtlety will likely be lost on most SAGE users.
Extensive knowledge of computer programming is not required in order
to use SAGE. I hope we can come up with a solution that is acceptable
in both paradigms. Perhaps the solution that Math/Maple/etc. use is
the best, but I hope we can find a more intuitive one.

--
Bobby Moretti
[EMAIL PROTECTED]