"William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is a discussion of update/upgrade notification for SAGE for normal users.
> Feel free to read it and share your thoughts.

One way to make notifications less obtrusive is to make them
omnipresent.  That is, the banner could always read

| SAGE Version 2.5.alpha2, Release Date: 2007-05-02
| Latest version is 2.5.alpha3, type upgrade() to upgrade.
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |

While we're at it, maybe the banner should also tell you if you're
running a vanilla sage or a hacked sage and maybe what the last hg tag
was.

Nick